Monday, December 16, 2013

Eerie Evening

Running into the forest on a cold winter's eve can be an eerie experience, especially when the wind is whipping around producing those extra little sounds that startles you at every turn. Yet, I boldly proceeded into this scenario, just me and my imagination. The night air was crisp and a thin layer of clouds began rolling in producing a perfect evening for a trail run. I ran for miles into my tunnel of light before I heard the large crackling sounds emerging from the darkness, a sound instinctively informing me that something was there. As I scanned the darkness with my headlamp I discovered six glowing eyes looming in my direction. My blood pressure immediately spiked as panicky thoughts began flooding my mind; I'm being stalked by a pack of wild dogs! As those green glowing eyes kept lurking in the darkness I began to make out their silhouettes; no, they're hyenas! Hyenas in Kentucky? Yes, I was sure of it! As I quickly began to process my fight or flight instincts one of my stalkers turned to leave and I caught a glimpse of a white tail dancing off into the darkness. It was to my great relief that my stalkers were deer! A smile fell upon my face as they made they're way back into the darkness, and as I tilted my head back with a chuckle I noticed the crescent moon lurking through the cloudy night sky just beyond the silhouette of barren branches, which was a guarantee recipe for my eerie evening to continue. This was my cue to start running back in the direction of the car before discovering that my next night stalker could very well be a werwolf or something worse, like a herd of deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment