Thursday, August 29, 2013

Spartan Races

I had been running anywhere from 1,200 to 1,500 miles a year on sidewalks and asphalt for a while now, but something shifted inside me this year. Each year I set forth a personal athletic goal for myself and this year happened to be the Spartan Race Trifecta (spartanrace.com). Training for this race series has been grueling to say the least and has required integrating both running and crossfit training together. With two races now under my belt I can honestly say Spartan Races have met the requirements of having a wonderful life experience. Running in these races has given me permission to act like a kid again as they provided the opportunity for me to run and jump through the forest while climbing ropes and crawling on my belly through mud under barbed wire. There have been forty foot cargo nets to climb over and creeks to run down along with monkey bars to maneuver across and eight foot walls to climb. Thanks to Spartan Races I have even had the opportunity to jump over fire; how cool is that?! Don't get me wrong though, these races have not disappointed in the area of providing a physical challenge, but the fun has outweighed the rigors of finishing these races. If you are in need of a nice life experience I highly recommend running in a Spartan Race, they won't disappoint! 

No comments:

Post a Comment